Thursday, December 09, 2004

When I don't know what to do with [Fill In As Appropriate], I do Poetry

[From The Gift by Hafiz, Sufi master, 1320-1389]


AND LOVE SAYS

And love
Says,

“I will, I will take care of you.”

To everything that is
Near.


***

THE WARRIOR

The warriors tame
The beasts in their past
So that the night’s hooves
Can no longer break the jewelled vision
In the heart

The intelligent and the brave
Open every closet in the future and evict
All the mind ghosts who have the bad habit
Of barfing everywhere (…)


***


TWO GIANT FAT PEOPLE

God
And I have become
Like two giant fat people
Living in a
Tiny boat.
We
Keep
Bumping into each other and
L
A
U
G
H
I
N
G


***

I SAW TWO BIRDS

Both of our mouths
Can fit upon this flute I carry.

My music will sound
So much sweeter that way.

With your breath and my breath
Poking each other in the ribs
And kissing. (…)


***

THIS SKY

This
Sky
Where we live
Is no place to lose your wings
So love, love,
Love.


***

A GREAT NEED

Out
Of a great need
We are all holding hands
And climbing.
Not loving is letting go.
Listen,
The terrain around here
Is
Far too
Dangerous
For that.

7 Comments:

At 10/12/04 00:59, Blogger Ed said...

Beautiful, Lioncub, simply beautiful.

 
At 10/12/04 09:54, Blogger brooksba said...

Lioness,

Thank you for sharing. These are wonderful.

Beth

 
At 11/12/04 16:01, Blogger Lioness said...

Oh but they're not mine! They're Hafiz's, a Sufi master from the XIV century. I WISH they were though, how I do!

 
At 11/12/04 16:15, Blogger Lioness said...

B., the poems, I mean, are his. You would LOVE the book. I was shocked bcs a friend of mine read the Rose post and she says - get this - you can only TOPS have the 1st requirement. That's not the world I choose to live in. In mine, those are pretty reasonable requirements, eh?

V., I'd forgotten abt it! :DDD shall I do it now for your entertainement? Just a sec. Ok: p. 243, NEEDING A MIRROR:

Your eye is so wise
It keeps turning, turning,
Needing to touch
Beauty

It keeps turning.
Needing to find a mirror

That will caress you
As I.

(It's official you lot, I'm a Cyclop.)

 
At 12/12/04 03:15, Blogger CarpeDM said...

Wow. This is wonderful.

 
At 16/12/04 12:38, Blogger Lioness said...

You are ALSO freaking me out. Will you charge me or is it pro bono? You know, I distinctly remember the words "RUN LIKE HELL". That what you mean? Cos I CAN do that, and how!

 
At 18/12/04 12:59, Blogger Lioness said...

Yes of course I'm talkin to you! (And how could I EVER forget that!!! Better than Almodovar really. And don't be daft, you da bomb too yo!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home