Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I went and did it

I passed Virology. Who would have thunk it. Certainly not me after such a hideous exam. I don't understand this, apparently grades plummeted this year. Something's not right then, stands to reason. And this is the thing, I like my teacher, LOADS. [There are 3 teachers and who you have depends on your Lab day and the subject. Also, it seems she's not the one who chose the exam questions, she was in charge of exams' corrections.] She's smart, a very good teacher, easy to talk to. In my Faculty, I do appreciate these qualities, they don't always occur, certainly not all too often together. But to tell us that we are "studying superficially"? regarding one exam that had everyone wringing their hands in horror? One exam with fill-in-the-blanks that had us guessing as to what they MIGHT possibly want from us? With heaps of True/False questions (points off for wrong answers) and multiple choice ones w a myriad of detail? And then captioning 3 images, and one big question and some smaller ones? All this is [barfs furball] 50 min? We study SUPERFICIALLY??

Dear teachers:

Whenever grades plummet, whenever there is more than a fair amount of flunking, kindly refrain from blaming us. We study. In fact, studying seems to be ALL WE DO. I just wrote 3 exams, during the holidays. I will now have to start studying for my at least 13 exams in June/July. Not to mention the at least 5 in September, and then possibly some in Oct/Nov. With then, of course, regular exams in Jan/Febr. And then March/Apr. And so it goes.

Kindly re-evaluate your evaluation methods, i.e., sad said exam. Something may be rotten in the state of Denmark but it bloody well isn't the Little Mermaid now is it.

---------------------

Thanks for the emails (and comments). I can't really write right now. I do want to tackle the questions but can't bring myself to do it. So I don't even try. It's been pretty horrid. I miss U., I resent death profoundly and basically don't feel like doing anything other than watching movies w happy endings. So that's where we are now. I'm alright, just... thingy.

13 Comments:

At 5/4/05 19:04, Blogger sirbarrett said...

There you go trooper. Congrats! We all thunked you do it! It sounds like you're doing everything you need to do to get through the rat maze of virology and henceforth. I hope you actually sent that letter too. By clearing the Mermaid of charges you sure stuck it to the faculty. It's good to have mentors, but what is this "superficial" learning she's talking about? WTF does that mean?

 
At 5/4/05 19:45, Blogger brooksba said...

Hi Johnny,

Congrats on passing the exam. I'm sorry for all the hard days of studying you have, I don't think it is superficial.

If I were a teacher and a fair amount of flunking was going on, I'd worry more about teaching skills than whether or not students were studying.

Counting down the days until I can give you a big hug in person.

Beth

 
At 5/4/05 21:53, Blogger Dale said...

Congratulations on the exam!

Hugs

 
At 5/4/05 21:54, Blogger Dale said...

Congratulations on the exam!

Hugs

 
At 5/4/05 21:54, Blogger Dale said...

(Drat blogger comments. Never know if they've gone through!)

 
At 6/4/05 01:40, Blogger Diana said...

Another hearty congrats! Blaming the students must be an international phenomenon. Assholes.

 
At 6/4/05 02:00, Blogger Ed said...

~C~O~N~G~R~A~T~U~A~L~T~I~O~N~S~

 
At 6/4/05 05:55, Blogger Lord Chimmy said...

Some professors have a lot of knowledge but a piss poor way of sharing it. Glad to hear you passed virology..that's a difficult topic and a good one to have behind you.

One professor once said to me that if half his class scores below average on a test then he failed the students. However, I have heard of other professors that have claimed from the start, "Most of you will not pass this class." Isn't that an arrogant way to begin the semester!

 
At 6/4/05 09:23, Blogger Udge said...

Congratulations for the exam, and hugs for the rest. If you can find german-language videos, have a look at Der Strand von Trouville and Zugvögel: Einmal nach Inari, both excellent (thoughtful, quiet, gentle, modest) love stories, with very happy endings.

 
At 6/4/05 10:53, Blogger JenP said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

For she's a jolly good fellow...

Hope you're doing well. Thinking of you.

 
At 6/4/05 14:42, Blogger CarpeDM said...

Congratulations!

You know, between Beth and you, I'm really glad I didn't return to school. It seems that teachers have really changed since I was in high school and college.

I agree, someone who says more than half of a class won't pass, is being arrogant and should really re-evaluate their teaching beliefs. I've had some awful teachers in the past but the great ones far outweighed the others.

Hippo and I are both looking forward to seeing you. He is hoping that you will tango with him. Or at least pat him on the head and tell him what a pretty Hippo he is.

I will see you soon! I can't wait!

 
At 6/4/05 19:37, Blogger squarepeg said...

goody goody goody! [happy dancing around the room] V PLEASED FOR YOU passing sodding bloody garbage exam! U R AMAZING!!!

 
At 9/4/05 02:44, Blogger Melaina RN, PHN, MS, CNS, ACHPN said...

Congrats on the exam. I am totally with you on stupid exams. I have definitely had my fair share. Fortunately, this quarter we're writing lots of papers and won't have any exams (my personal preference).

Happy movie watching! Let me know if you see any good happy endings. I could use a few of those myself. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home