Thursday, October 28, 2004

Father's Sigmoid Colon + Cow Milk Is Bad

My mother has been officially cancer-free for 6 years today. It is always the happiest day of my life.

Le'haim!

________

I have a bit of time right now and I wanted to add to it. My mother was extremely lucky, it was stage 2 and she didn't need any chemo other than taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. Thankfully, her liver coped well and all she experienced was some hair thinning. Mother is a tough one, she was diagnosed just before I left for Israel for my reasearch in 98 and at first I didn't want to go. She told me in no uncertain terms to stop being silly, of course she was going to survive and my staying would only mean we were giving up. My parents were adamant I should go despite being worried sick about my being in Israel (you learn pretty quickly to ring them immediately whenever there's a bombing, even if it was at the other end of the country and they know it). I felt guilty but she was right. She couldn't be bothered to reconstruct the missing boob for some reason I can't comprehend. She's the real Lioness (that's not the reason for the name though).

My father was diagnosed about a month and a half ago with colon cancer. He'd gone for a colonoscopy, they found some polyps, removed them and sent them for analysis. The doctor was convinced all was well. One of them, as it turned out, presented a miscroscopic carcinomal focus - meaning, there was cancer starting but it was still in the stalk of the polyp and was fully differentiated (always good news w tumours). So it was gone and he won't even need any medication. We were a bit worried of course but for some reason neither my mother nor I seemed able to really really worry. We knew it wouldn’t be bad. I read the pathology report and it was pretty reassuring. Colon cancer is not too bad to have if caught early on, my doctor friend G. explained to me. In fact, she says, if you knew you had to have one and could choose, you should go for this one. User-friendly, as it were.

This brings me to milk. Go on, read the new post. You might end up hating me.

6 Comments:

At 29/10/04 06:06, Blogger brooksba said...

Thank you for sharing. This is wonderful.

I can see why it would be the happiest day of your life.

Beth

 
At 29/10/04 08:19, Blogger squarepeg said...

MAZAL TOV! May she continue to be healthy "ad me'a eserim".

 
At 29/10/04 14:09, Blogger Lioness said...

Thanks dahlings! MAZAL TOV back at you, N.! Did your mom also donate a boob to the netherworld?

 
At 29/10/04 21:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother had cancer twice, cancer of the uterus when she was pregnant with my sister. Out came Kari, out came uterus right after her.

She also had breast cancer when I was in high school. The lumpectomy went well and she had lymph nodes removed. Other than the fact that her arm is swollen constantly, she remains cancer free.

She likes to say that she had cancer twice so both of her daughters will remain cancer free. You have to love a woman who puts such a postive outlook on it. God, I love her.

Okay, got to go. Weepy.

 
At 29/10/04 21:45, Blogger Lioness said...

Anon, lovely to have you here. Weepy too.

 
At 29/10/04 21:47, Blogger Lioness said...

Sister called Kari... Anon, you're not really an anon are you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home