Monday, July 11, 2005

Homesick

Horshim Avocado


Uzi worked in the kibbutz avocado fields [those are our avocados up there], his job as a teen and still his job whenever he was home from the Technion. That's where

he used to find the dead scorpions he'd bring me, to my immense glee. He'd come home covered in avocado soot, or so it seemed, his working shoes announcing his arrival right away, tree dust all over his blue-grey working shirt (the one I'm wearing in the hair pics a few posts below), dark-blue working pants riding low because of the weight of his tools (oh his beloved Leatherman), blue eyes blazing among the tan and the grey.

Those moments were always the prettiest I ever saw him look.

I never took a picture of him looking like that.

I cried for him yesterday.

--------

PS - We used to eat them spread on toast, sprinkled w salt and pepper. Delicious. He brought loads of avocados to the room and would hand them out to everyone in sight. We always had more avocados than we knew what to do with. Uzi-food. Haven't been able to eat them since.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11/7/05 20:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sweetheart
you have been on my mind so much this past week...the mass deaths, confusion and anguish of friends, lovers, relatives and parents waiting for identification, wondering if that is worse than not knowing...oh johnny...you are in my mind.
xo tess

 
At 11/7/05 20:32, Blogger SavtaDotty said...

I eat one of those avocados every day in my breakfast salad. Now I can think of Uzi first thing in the morning. Thank you for making me cry and smile at the same time.

 
At 11/7/05 20:40, Blogger JoeinVegas said...

I had a customer in San Diego with a 60 acre avocado grove. Visiting after a windstorm (they don't sell ones that fall) he asked if I wanted any windfalls. I said OK, my car trunk was open, thinking I'd get a dozen or so. Driving home the car seemed to handle differently (big old car, big trunk). Looking in when home I found the trunk filled to the top with green - probably 600 pounds or so, 1,000 + avocados. All ripe. Couldn't give enough away. If I knew you liked them I'd ship to Portugal.

 
At 11/7/05 21:10, Blogger brooksba said...

What a beautiful memory. You've touched my heart with another powerful image of Uzi. Thank you.

 
At 12/7/05 01:28, Blogger CarpeDM said...

I can just imagine this. You made it come to life in my mind as well.

I saw someone chasing a butterfly today. I thought of you and Uzi. And now there is this post.

Love you.

 
At 12/7/05 02:35, Blogger Unknown said...

Avocadoes are one of my most favouritest things to eat. We planted a tree in our chook run a couple of years ago, when Monkey Boy moved in.

I will nurture it and think of you and Uzi.

 
At 12/7/05 10:25, Blogger Unbelonger said...

Brings back memories too. I used to slave in the avocado fields (liked dates and bananas better though). Find lots of akravim and akrabutim (gender?) as well (live ones too!).
And I own a Leatherman.
Funny how a person can come to life thru such meaningless details. I feel for you, but had trouble seeing Uzi. Until some commonalities turned up.
Now avocadoes mean more than just dust and guacamole.

 
At 12/7/05 11:31, Blogger Lioness said...

I'm fine w guacamole, I think. Haven't had it in ages but guacamole is Mexican, has nothing to do w our avocados. It's the plain avocado pulp I can't face.

 
At 12/7/05 14:56, Blogger Diana said...

Just a hug.

 
At 12/7/05 19:05, Blogger Dale said...

(o)

(I guess that's an avocado this time :->)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home