Monday, March 14, 2005

Only I don't know how to just yet

Autumn Sonnets #2
by May Sarton

If I can let you go as trees let go
Their leaves, so casually, one by one
If I can come to know what they do know,
That fall is the release, the consummation
Then fear of time and the uncertain fruit
Would not distemper the great lucid skies
This strangest autumn, mellow and acute.
If I can take the dark with open eyes
And call it seasonal, not harsh or strange.
(For love itself may need a time of sleep),
And tree-like, stand unmoved before the change.
Lose what I lose to keep what I can keep,
The strong root still alive under the snow.
Love will endure - if I can let you go.

Found here

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 15/3/05 02:09, Blogger D.X. said...

i had a micheal crichton phase. i've read: jurassic park, the lost world, congo, sphere, travels, the great train robbery, andromeda strain, five patients, disclosure, timeline, and airframe. ok so maybe more than a phase. hehe.

 
At 15/3/05 07:24, Blogger Kristin said...

Letting go is always the hardest. Lots of hugs for you.

 
At 15/3/05 08:26, Blogger Dale said...

(o)

 
At 16/3/05 00:44, Blogger elswhere said...

I've loved this poem for about 25 years now. Haven't seen it for years; it was a gift to read it here.

Thinking of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home